The DSG gearbox brings together the ease of an automatic gearbox with the simplicity of a manual gearbox BUT like all things mechanical they do have some problems and will need service and or repair sooner or later. Common issues you can expect to see include:
All of these DSG issues are common or known faults to us here at CCM and sadly, will all lead to the eventual failure of the DSG gearbox or its functions. Don’t worry though, as everything is repairable.
Let’s break down the most common issues into two headlines groups and we’ll expand on each issue below.
If your car is still driveable then give us a call and book in for a diagnostic report. This will allow us to advise on the precise fault and provide you with a detailed repair cost. You can then leave your car with us and use a free courtesy car, or schedule a repair for the future.
Your car won’t move when put into gear or commonly won’t even select a gear so your car is stuck.
Get a recovery plan sorted to bring the car to us and if you need a loan car then grab a lift with the lorry and we will reserve a car for you. Once your car is with us, we can get stuck into the diagnosis and provide you with a quote for the work needed.
Main Causes of DSG Issues
Major Cause No.1 – DSG Clutch Issue
Your DSG gearbox has two clutch packs, one for the odd-numbered gears and one for the even-numbered gears. If either clutch pack fails or is worn you will have issues. Basically, just like a normal gearbox, you need a new clutch.
The problem is that these clutches are not quite as simple as a standard gearbox and require specialist equipment and knowledge to fit them. Plus specialist equipment to program and adapt the new clutch.
On smaller engine cars these DSG clutches are dry clutches with an estimated range of 60 – 70,000 miles. On larger engine cars the DSG gearbox clutches are ‘wet’ which means they live in an oil-based environment. This does improve the clutch wear but creates a problem with contaminated oil. If your car is a 2 litre or above then the DSG clutch oil should be serviced regularly.
Call CCM and book in a fixed price full diagnostic as you don’t want to be rushing into a clutch kit if that is not really the problem.
Major Cause No.2 – Failed Mechatronics Unit
Your gear selection is handled by an electrohydraulic robot called a mechatronics unit.
Mechatronics units fail pretty much as often as the clutches so they are a common failure. The mechatronics units are replaceable, but just like the clutch, we need to be sure which part has failed.
If you want to learn more about these, watch the quick video below where Callum, our Gatwick DSG expert talks us through common mechatronic unit faults and issues.
Common DSG Gearbox Faults & Issues
Here is a list of some of the most common and reoccurring DSG faults that we see at CCM. This is not an extensive list and each car may display these faults in slightly different ways.
- Your DSG upshift gets selected too early and downshift is too slow or ‘laggy’
- You cannot select the highest gear
- DSG gear selection gets stuck in 5th gear
- The gearbox randomly selects neutral
- RPM increases greatly during acceleration but speed does not increase
- Drive does not increase smoothly, you experience uneven drive
- DSG will not drive smoothly in slow traffic
- DSG gearbox will not select reverse or drive backwards
- You cannot shift automatically and have to use manual shift to move upwards
- DSG will only select either even or odd gears
- Your DSG box is talking to you, perhaps it is saying ‘PRNDS’
- DSG warning message of ‘PRNDS’ with a blink
- A dashboard warning light of an orange spanner
- A dashboard warning light of a gear wheel or cog
- A dashboard warning message that shows and then your car runs with reduced power
- A dashboard warning and then only even or odd number gears will work
- A bump or surge during DSG up-change
- A bump or surge during DSG down-change
- A bump or surge as you pull up but before you stop
- Inconsistent smoothness in gear selection on acceleration or deceleration
- Vibrations during up-change typically from an odd gear to an even number gear
- Jolts when selecting first gear
- Jolts when selecting reverse gear
- Jolts are noticeable when you release the accelerator
- Jolts felt through the steering wheel
- DSG gearbox makes an unusual noise during up-change
- Makes an unusual noise during down-change
- Makes an unusual noise during braking
- Makes an unusual noise in high gears
- Makes an unusual noise during cornering
- Rattling noises from your DSG gearbox when cold starting
- Rattling noises when pulling away
- Scraping or grinding noises when stationary with the engine running
- Scraping or grinding noises from your DSG gearbox when pulling away
DSG Gearbox Repair Costs at a Glance
*Prices are for indication only, call us for a refined quote and best deals
|Diagnostic test & report||from £108|
|Typical clutch replacement||£1,295|
|Repair of Mechatronics using ACtronics||£900|
|DSG 6-speed oil and filter change||£195|
Scope of Work
DSG gearboxes are what you’ll likely find across a multitude of VAG vehicles.
So if you drive an Audi, Seat, Volkswagen or Skoda, the issues and fixes are pretty much the same across the group. It doesn’t matter which of these models you drive but we are pretty sure that we will have seen the problem before so don’t be afraid to give our team a call to discuss your issues.
- Volkswagen Transporter
- Skoda Octavia
- Audi A3
- Volkswagen Golf R
- Audi RS3
- Volkswagen Passat
- Skoda Fabia
- Audi Polo
Trust our team with your DSG issues
The team were courteous and professional throughout. The technician listened carefully to the problems I was experiencing, carried out the appropriate diagnostics and repaired the car within 48 hours. He also advised against the repair recommended by a main dealer as they had misdiagnosed the fault. This saved me over £3000! I cannot recommend the garage highly enough.
Our first visit to CCM to investigate a rattle from the gearbox. Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable and the problem was diagnosed the same day. Detailed estimate was provided and we agreed for the work to be done. We drove home very happy with the gearbox working like when it was new.
Would highly recommend CCM for any car problems.
Problem with Audi A3 automatic gearbox, after diagnostics I needed the mechatronics unit replacing.CCM ordered the part and fitted, no problems and a very good service. Not a cheap repair but the bulk of the cost was the spare part. Very happy with the overall experience.
I was recommended CCM with a DSG gearbox which needed a new clutch. CCM did it perfectly and at a much lower price than the main dealer. The staff are very friendly with fantastic service from the front desk staff plus the actual mechanics who do the work are also there to chat through the job which is great too. “if Carlsberg made garages !”😀
Perfect! Really polite and friendly, professional staff. Easy to book my car in for work to the Automatic Gearbox. Drop the car off, pick up a Courtesy Car. Later in the day get a call that the car is all done. Actual costs were lower than the quote. Gearbox feels loads better than before. Can't recommend them enough.
I needed help on a warning light and took the car to CCM. They quickly diagnosed the fault ordered the part required and fixed the fault. The service was very good with friendly staff and the repair was arranged quickly at a competitive price. I will certainly use CCM again in the future.
I’m blown away with how smooth my gearbox now feels when shifting - I can’t even notice when the car is changing gears, it truly is night and day. They let me see a sample of the oil which was removed from my car as requested. CCM are top in the field and professional till the end! 100% recommend.
Took my Range Rover in for an automatic gearbox flush and service. Received great service. Staff are very friendly and courteous. The work done on the Car was excellent and now drives like new. Overall a great experience and highly recommended.